A couple of general comments on this thread:

1) Putting on two snow tires - meaning real snows, with the snowflake
on the mountain symbol (not "M+S" rated tires, which means NOTHING)...
is half useless. You need FOUR snow tires. You do expect to steer,
and/or stop, right? A set of snows usually last for many seasons. A
couple hundred bucks, spread out over a few years, is waaaaay cheaper
than wrecking your car, or getting stranded somewhere.

2) Anyone who thinks "all season" tires work great in snow or ice
either does not live in real ice or snow country, or has never driven
a car with four real snow tires (again, an M+S rating does not mean
"snow tire").

(flame suit on)

Dave M.
(Four studded Kumhos KW-11's on the VW, studless Kumhos on the 300E)