> On October 5, 2017 at 2:40 AM Jim Cathey via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
> wrote:
>

> For a car ammeter, you either have to wire in a series (or shunt) ammeter,
> or use a clamp-on DC ammeter.  (Hall effect, not a transformer.)  These are
> not particularly cheap.  Great to have as test equipment, though.

GM now includes them as standard equipment.
The computer tracks the amps in and out of the battery and manages charging to
minimize fuel consumption.
Nissan does something similar too, but I don't know if they monitor current.
It's weird to hook up my Scangauge to a friend's 2013 Sentra and watch the
voltage vary from the high 11s to the low 14s. And it's infuriating when, about
once a year, it decides that it let the battery get too low and refuses to
engage the starter. One time it did it on a Sunday night as he was leaving a
ballpark in a bad neighborhood at 10pm. Took him over an hour to get a tow
truck to jump start it, so he was there long after the safety of the crowd
dissipated. He was not pleased. He bought a jump pack and put it in the trunk
after that one. Another time he called me from the Dr's office to jump his car,
and when I got there it changed its mind and decided to start. I think it was
only a few months old that time.

Mitch.