When I try to look at the slideshow form that page, I get "MISSING PLUGIN" Evidently it is done in flash. Why anyone still uses flash is a mystery to me. I will not load the hackdoors known as flash.

Too bad, it would have  been interesting to see.

Mitch Haley via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
October 6, 2017 at 2:12 PM

I managed to find this reference to a red&silver 600 pickup, but still haven't found details on the black cab forward design:

The Benzomino/El Benzo is a private project from famed W100 restorer Karl Middelhauve. He’s one of the greatest authorities on the Mercedes 600, and perhaps one of the few outside Mercedes themselves who can restore a 600 from the ground up. He has several cars for sale, and given the right price, I think he can part with any of his cars. He invented a completely new top and a new computerized injection system for the M100-engine, worthy of perhaps another 150hp or so. Several of his cars are supercharged. And that’s from the place Jay Leno bought his brown supercharged 600.

However, Middelhauve is a personal friend of the Mercedes-designer Paul Bracq, and he had Bracq design those pickups for him as a personal favour. It’s just one of those things you can do when you have a couple of 600-shells scrapped for parts that’s just laying around the backyard. And what’s so fun is that he commissioned those designs from the original 600 designer, though they are made now in this century. It’s just one of those things…

Here’s a link to Middelhauves own site, with lots of pics on the pickup conversion.

http://www.mbgrand600.com/Page80.html