Christopher McCann wrote:
$105....some labor, some washers, a BOLT, and some bushings (on the  brake
torsion bar). Not a creek, clank, clunk, click, or squeal. After  replacing all
the ball joints and now finally securing the brake  torsion bar, she sounds
JUST LIKE NEW on every bump, ramp and dip. A  beautiful thing.
Indy gave me a free Stanadyne in-line diesel fuel heater (it's new in box, but old, he has a TON of them: auto temp sensing, heats fuel prior to engine start). Haven't looked at the instructions - obviously goes BEFORE fuel filter. I live in MO, not MN...but I guess it can't hurt. Any thoughts? I figured if there was any interest on the list and since he has "TONS" of them, maybe we can buy a qty in builk for dirt cheap? That's if they're worth the trouble. Thanks all,

At temps above zero, I've had NO trouble in cars without fuel heaters when using winterized fuel. The OM60x engines in my cars have fuel heaters and I believe they make a difference in REALLY cold weather (I've driven at temps down to 30 below F). There is NO advantage to heating fuel as long as it's warm enough to flow properly. When temps get much below zero, fuel flow becomes a problem with some fuel system designs (early VW diesels). With older Mercedes (pre OM61x engines), I've not had problems until temps got into the 20 below zero range (but starting at below zero was a real challenge with those engines).

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi