Thanks for the info as to what the pumping of the accelerator (as
recommended by the owner's manual) might be intended to achieve.

I'm really not all that interested in the specifics of the inner workings if
the IP and etc. I am interested in getting an understanding of the overall
functions of the system (i.e. whether pumping the accelerator actually
squirts fuel [which I now understand does not] and the like) so that I can
make informed decisions on how to treat the thing not only during starting,
but during driving, so as to achieve the best results.
Thanks again for entertaining my simple questions.

Brian
83 240D

John B wrote:
 It seems that you have a genuine interest in how this all works. The
IP is a highly technical device, if you have the desire for a more
technical description, get your hands on an MB engine manual and give
section 07 a good read where you will find more technical info.
Putting it all into words is beyond my abilities, the authors of the
manual, however, have done a wonderful job.