On Mar 10, 2006, at 11:47 AM, Richard Barnaby wrote:

  Even if you COULD "get by" without it,
Why not have the oil more warm and available.
Seems to me, cheap insurance on the engine life.

I do it for science. It is good to know how to get the car started in the event of power failures ( which usually occur in Winter around here) and how low you can go. I live where you live except they call it New York over here. I also run synthetic oil so my oil is always ready to be pumped. My 190D Euro has no block heater, it used to live in Florida. All of our other MB diesels have block heaters. I will be installing one as well as flushing the cooling system and refilling with G-05, when I get around to it. I mostly tell my cold start stories so some of the other folks on the list can feel more secure about their cars starting when it gets cold. It seems to me that many who live in much warmer climes than you and I have the greatest paranoia when it comes to cold starts. I hope to ease their minds and reduce the stress that they endure as a result.

Johnny B.
I Mac Therefore I am