From: Richard Barnaby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 08:47:11 -0800
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Block Heater Yes or no

Been following the Block Heater yes or no controversy.
My .02
First my credentials 300SD 1979 driving daily between
Montpelier VT and Montreal in up to (down to -30)
Ungaraged car. I used a block heater.
In most cases without it, won't start after overnight
But will start leaving at work w/o plug in.  BUT
If plug available will use it.
Rationale:  Even if you COULD "get by" without it,
Why not have the oil more warm and available.
Seems to me, cheap insurance on the engine life.

Cold Weather true story.
Once at Montreal Airport Hilton, the temp was about -40 which is the temp at
which Celsius and Farenheit scales are the same, which is also common
knowledge to anyone living in this region.  It was really cold, and windy
too.  I was waiting along with others in the lobby for some reason, and
various people would enter and a gust of frigid air would immediately negate
any effect the hotel's heating system had built up since the last entry.
The desk clerk was a bit of a clown.  The temperature was a matter of public
knowledge that night.  When one new patron entered, and exclaimed "Man it's
COLD out there".  The clerk, innocently said, "How cold?".  The person
entering said "Forty Below".  The clerk, again innocently, "Is that Celsius
or Farenheit", baiting him for the expected reply, "It's the SAME".  But
this patron obviously didn't know that, and instead exclaims, "Who Cares?",
which if you think about it, is a much better reply.