My cousin, or rather my dad's cousin, flew them in the AF for a long time before graduating to small jets to haul around the perfumed princes.  He had some interesting stories., esp regarding flying into some rather warm zones with guys who wanted to shoot him down.  He got the tail shot off one at some point but managed to get it on the ground and walk away from it, he said that was exciting for a few minutes.

I also recall as a younger version of myself visiting my grandparents in KY in the late 60s and early 70s, they lived not far from Ft. Campbell (101 Airborne).  Every evening at like 7:30 or so, waves of C-130s in flights of 3 would start flying over headed west.  Some evenings there would be 15 or 20 or more flights of 3 together.  It was crazy, like a train in the sky, hauling stuff to Veetnam.  I never saw any returning, maybe they came in a different path.  I always thought that would be the most boring flying (even though flying is good even when boring), and it must have taken days to get there.

--FT