With an inspection mirror, look at the bottom of the water pump shaft
housing.
You will see a weep hole at the bottom of the shaft  housing, It is hidden
by the fan pulley so will take some "gyrations" to get in a position to see
the weep hole.

Look for evidence of coolant leakage. If you see that, it is where the
engine lost coolant without breaking a hose or tank fracture.  The weep
hole is there to let out coolant when the water pump shaft seal fails. It
bleeds off coolant while driving down the road, the coolant is dispersed by
the fan blast, and the vapor isn't seen..

The seal leaks when operational temp and pressure is reached.... it will
seal at idle, so until the seal is completely failed, not detected...

I suspect this car did exactly that, then was driven with no coolant until
the rings got so hot they lost tension and thus compression...

Thus,,,, "it won't start now".....

​I have an 83 SD with exactly that set of issues... bought for parts at
Kaleb pri​ce.