Here’s the deal for W123s and other similar vintage MBs:

Stamped steel wheel + aluminum wheel cover

Forged aluminum wheel (same design as the steel wheel) + aluminum wheel cover

Bundt alloy wheel

The forged aluminum wheels were pretty rare in the US, but more common in
Europe, I believe.  In some cases the aluminum wheels could be larger as far as
width to accommodate a larger profile tire.

-D