Heh.  I find it interesting when I grocery shop.  I typically go very early on
Sunday mornings so I have the place (WalMart) to myself.  Despite the early
hour, I still see potential entries for the “People of WalMart” blog.  Ugh.

What’s even better is the stark contrast when I leave WalMart and go to Publix,
which is pretty upscale here.  The difference in the demographics is like night
and day, sort of like the black and white to color transition in the Wizard of
Oz….

I will never relax my hatred for WalMart.  I saw them come into the small town
I lived in in Wisconsin and destroy a very vibrant and valued downtown of
privately owned merchants.  I knew a couple of those business owners, and I saw
what WalMart’s presence did to them.  For one in particular, it destroyed their
livelihood and what would have provided them a comfortable retirement.
Instead, they were nearly destitute and bordered on needing public assistance a
year later.  I know this because I saw it happen, and I also contributed
heavily to helping these people in the aftermath.  I am very, very bitter about
this and will likely never give in.  Imagine having a business you committed
40-50 years of your life to practically vaporize in a few months because some
corporate behemoth with resources so far beyond what you could ever muster
shows up and runs you out of business.  Bastards.

Last time I was in Sears was at least 10 years ago.  It was alien to me, mainly
because the demographic they were targeting was clearly not me.  At least the
Sears near me wasn’t - I say that because all of the signs were in Spanish with
English below - the opposite of what you might see at any other major retailer.
 None of the people (clientele) in the store looked like me, either.  It was
really, really weird.  I’ve never gone back.

-D