Keeping all the special tools in one place is very nice when you are a stick in the mud and stay in one place all the time. I've had cars scattered all over, at various "line shacks," and thence need to work on them wherever they are. So, the special tools are always someplace else from where they are needed.

Most recently, when I was working on the 240D, my "special socket" for injector holders was in the trunk of the 300D, 1000 miles away. So, I could not take out the nozzles. As it ended up, I didn't have to, so it was ok in the end, but I ran around trying to buy a 27mm or 1 1/16" deep socket with the flutes cut to the top.

My "special socket" is just a crapsman deep socket I bought 40 yrs ago. Aparrently nobody make deep sockets with the flutes cut all the way to the top after snears drove Williams out of bidness.

As I said, YMMV, but for me NOT having special tools made life easier.

Dan Penoff via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
December 23, 2017 at 8:48 PM
What Rick says.

I, like Don, keep all my specialized tools in a single place. Whether it’s a Mercedes tool or that wonderful left handed pipe nipple remover for busted sprinkler heads, they’re all in the same place.

And while I’m all for rolling my own tools when possible, I weight the expense of a specialized tool against the amount of time and effort it saves me. In nearly every case it’s been money well spent.

-D