So here’s the deal:

I have conferred with the learned folks on the Davelist (400E/500E enthusiasts)
and this is what they have said:

> “Your thoughts are spot-on. The lower engine harness (to starter /
> alternator) cannot, to my knowledge, cause limp mode. I think the indie was
> either lazy or is not familiar with diagnosing M119's with ASR. The lower
> harness is NLA currently, but can be rebuilt as DIY, or Jono will rebuild
> them professionally. The upper wire harness should not cause limp mode.
>
> If we assume the ETA is good (no guarantee the "rebuilt" is ok), the next
> most likely items to cause limp mode are: brake light switch faulty or
> mis-adjusted, NSS on trans faulty (very common if original), mis-adjusted
> throttle linkage, faulty microswitch at the accelerator pedal, faulty E-GAS
> module, or faulty ETA. The wheel speed sensors are very rare failures, and
> I've never heard of failed diff speed sensors.
>
> If the car is in good condition and under $1k, limp mode would NOT at all be
> a deal-breaker. However, I would budget ±$1k in parts for various items you
> are probably going to run into along the way, same as with any used M119
> purchase. For the limp mode specifically, the most expensive item by far
> would be the ETA if needed. Everything else is <$100.”
>
> The ETA has been checked out and confirmed good, as it was a dealer
> replacement they put on the car a few years back.  That leaves little but
> microswitches or adjustments to sort out the issue.

They have recently (within the last year or two) done a full suspension rebuild
with shocks, struts and bushings using MB parts.  Brakes were done as well.
Full service records for their ownership, which began prior to 2010 - I’m not
sure of the exact year, something like 08/09 or thereabouts.  All work was done
by the local dealer or a now retired MB indie in the area.

It’s a great foundation for someone who wants a cheap entry into the 400E
platform, as they’ve done all the requisite W124/M119 stuff that would be
necessary in a car of this age and vintage. This even includes timing chain and
guides, which I’ve never done on an M119 before 300k.

The piddly stuff are things you could easily ignore or put off, like the rear
window regulator and antenna, for example.  Left rear fender has peeling
clearcoat, but it’s that panel and that panel on,y, something that could easily
be masked off and dealt with to make the exterior 100%.

You should reach out to the guy if you’re interested. I will gladly rebuild the
lower harness gratis if you get it to/from my abode.  It’s not a big deal to
R&R.

-D