I've always thought the combination of gasolene and wood construction
sounded like a bad idea, so diesel just made sense to me.  The VW
engine would produce ~52hp at maybe 3200rpm, or maybe less--I forget.
I bet a 3 cyl Geo Metro/Suzuki swift engine would work ok, as well.

On 3/15/06, R A Bennell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Interesting, as I had not really thought about a VW diesel. I was really
> thinking more along the lines of a gasoline engine. It need not be a high
> reving thing. An old Chevette engine would likely do if I could find one
> that was intact. It only needs something like 25 HP at 2000 RPM if memory
> serves correct. I don't have the article in front of me. The hull shape is
> such that more power won't really help much in terms of speed.

Casey
Olympia, WA
Biodiesel: "I drive in a persistent vegetative state"
'87 300TD intercooler (211k)
'84 300D (211k)
Gashuffer:
'89 Vanagon Wolfsburg Edition (187K)