Pull the cladding.  You will always be wondering about the schmutz behind it
until you do.  Maybe it has been so packed with saturated slime for so long
that rust is starting to bubble up through the paint.  Kill the tin worm before
it eats the car!

clay

1974 450sl -  Frosch - Two tone green
1986 SDL - Polei
1982 300 SD - Allen

retired models-
2002 s430 - Victor, a Stately & well tailored crap
1976 300D - Blei Vanst - it looks silvery
POS 1987 SDL - Beware Nigerian Scammers