Even most of the new mid sized suv's have pretty pitiful tow ratings. A good portion of them can't pull over 1500-1700 pounds, heck, my Volvo is rated for 3300 ( in the US, 4000 in europe )
---------Robert

Dan Weeks wrote:
Mitch Haley wrote:
 As far as boat towing is concerned, I once towed a 2650lb fiberglass
 runabout, trailer, 80hp mercruiser combo up into Ontario with my
 93hp, 2.2L Horizon. Didn't encounter my first fourth gear hillclimb
 until I was in Michigan's upper penninsula.

David Brodbeck wrote:
They don't make 'em like they used to, though.  I think part of the
reason people go to SUVs is most modern cars have really pathetic towing
ratings.  Even full-sized sedans often can't tow a 2000 pound trailer
anymore.  The Ford Crown Victoria, which used to be good for a couple of
tons, is now limited to 1500 pounds, for example.  You pretty much have
to get an SUV or pickup to tow anything.

Hell, I regularly tow a ton with my turbodiesel vanagon--70 hp, 98 lbs torque--which ITSELF weighs two tons. No problem. It's all in the gearing.

My brother has a '42 International K-7. 89 hp six. It'll haul 5 ton on the bed and tow 4 more behind, with ease and grace, tho at a stately pace. 10 gears does it.

As for the new cars tow ratings being downgraded, I think that's just to sell more SUVs.

Nor would I worry about CV joints. Lots of heavy military AWD trucks do some huge grunting on CVs. I'd tow with my 300SD without hesitation, were it not that the vanagon already has a hitch and those for MBZ seem pretty spendy.

Dan