I have to say that I think there is a big difference between what one "can"
do and what one "should" do.  We often see people on the road towing loads
that they ought not to. They may get away with it but it is dangerous to the
rest of us. Braking is at least as important as the ability to pull.

My father in law used to pull a 22 foot inboard/outboard with a little front
drive Chrysler product with 4 cylinders. I don't recall exactly what it
was - maybe a LeBaron (that was close to 20 years ago). At any rate it was
silly but he pulled that boat out as much as 200 miles away on weekends. The
poor car could hardly pull it out of the water at the ramp. I remember being
there once when he wanted us all to push. He stepped on the gas and I swear
that the whole car dropped down several inches before it started to move
forward but it pulled the boat out. Testimony to the quality of the
drivetrain in that Chrysler I guess although I never thought they were all
that great at the time. He later swapped to a bigger car - a Buick - and
promptly took the tranny out trying to pull the boat - no add on tranny
cooler had been installed.

I personally like to know there is a frame that the hitch is well attached
to. I have receiver hitches on both my 4Runner and F150 and they do
reasonably well pulling our boats. I have electric brakes on the bigger boat
trailer but have not installed the controller on the pickup yet.  If I was
going to pull anything really heavy, I would be looking for a 3/4 ton.

Randy B