LOL, my '85 190D would just barely best 43mpg and I never once adjusted the
valves ;)
Best I ever did with a 240D was 32mpg. My Jetta regularly hits 55mpg. I'd sure
like to find another gen3 Jetta that isn't all rusted out...
-Curt

    On Wednesday, February 21, 2018, 5:53:02 PM EST, Randy Bennell via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

 On 21/02/2018 4:45 PM, Curt Raymond via Mercedes wrote:
> What are the symptoms of not adjusting the valves on a diesel for a long time?
>
> I'll explain in a bit after you guys either confirm or deny what I already
> thought.
> -Curt

AND, I have it on reliable authority, that properly adjusted valves are
ABSOLUTELY necessary in order to consistently get over 40 MPG with these
wonderful million mile engines.

RB (with tongue firmly in cheek!)