Was your 85 an OM 601 engine? The 60x engines are hydraulic lifters not
push rods like the om61x. Right?

Dwight Giles Jr.
Wickford RI

On Feb 21, 2018 6:10 PM, "Curt Raymond via Mercedes" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
wrote:

LOL, my '85 190D would just barely best 43mpg and I never once adjusted the
valves ;)
Best I ever did with a 240D was 32mpg. My Jetta regularly hits 55mpg. I'd
sure like to find another gen3 Jetta that isn't all rusted out...
-Curt

    On Wednesday, February 21, 2018, 5:53:02 PM EST, Randy Bennell via

 On 21/02/2018 4:45 PM, Curt Raymond via Mercedes wrote:
> What are the symptoms of not adjusting the valves on a diesel for a long
time?

> I'll explain in a bit after you guys either confirm or deny what I
already thought.
> -Curt

AND, I have it on reliable authority, that properly adjusted valves are
ABSOLUTELY necessary in order to consistently get over 40 MPG with these
wonderful million mile engines.

RB (with tongue firmly in cheek!)