On 3/16/06, David Brodbeck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Alex Chamberlain wrote:
> > I wonder how much of that is due to real engineering limitations and how
> > much to liability?
>
> Probably some of each.  I think part of the problem is modern unibody
> construction.  If you look under the back of a modern car, all you see
> is sheet metal. There really isn't much there that's substantial enough
> to bolt a hitch to.

Yeah, but that wouldn't be the case with the Crown Vic, which somebody
singled out as having a lower tow rating now than it used to.  It's still
body-on-frame---as far as I know, the last American car (as opposed to truck
or SUV) to be made that way.  (Does Cadillac still have a full-size RWD
model?)

Alex Chamberlain
'87 300D Turbo
'93 Isuzu Trooper