-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Jim Cathey
Sent: Friday, March 17, 2006 9:28 AM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Valve Adjustment, Tools, Timing chain, Diesel Purge,
etc.

> the references.  Where's the best/cheapest place to get the valve
> adjustment tools?  Or wouldn't I really need them?

Supposedly it can be done without, but it's rather painful.  I made
my own out of long 14mm wrenches from the pawnshop and a torch.  Don't
start with flimsy ones as the bends you put in them really cut down
their rigidity.  The third wrench is rarely needed, it's just to keep
the valve keeper from spinning (negating attempts to change valve
lash), but it rarely does this.

> Also on the subject of tools...  How important is the glow plug
reamer,
> and what's the best place to get one?

Not very, unless you need one!  So far I have not.  They are most
necessary when you've had a plug burned out for awhile but have kept
driving it, allowing it to really coke up in there.

> And I keep hearing about the timing chain stretch.  If I do the valves
> myself, is it quite easy to measure the stretch at that time?

Trivial.  But make _sure_ you are using the right dingus on the
crankshaft damper to read the scale against!

-- Jim