I've only owned my MB for 2 years now, but I've done at least 5 valve adjust,
and it's a fairly straight forward job.  For the order, do the valves first and
then diesel purge and change your filters.  The main spinon filter has a
suggested interval of 15kmi, so it can be changed the same time you do each
valve adjust.

Tools: Go to Harbor Freight or your FLPS and buy a cheap set of 13mm (???not
sure on the size...might be 14 or 15mm...) open end wrenches.  Heat them with a
tourch and bend them at a 45o angle.  I'm sure someone else on the list can
provide a picture today.  Glow plug reamer?  Ask OK Don what size dowel rod he
used, get's the job done just as well.

Timing chain stretch, look from the back of the car toward the front at the
back side of the timing gear on the cam shaft.  There is a notch on te drivers
side at about 9 o'clock.  Watch the gear as you turn the engine over by hand,
and you will see an arrow.  Line these up, then look down behind the belts to
the back of the crank shaft pully, and you will see a series of numbers (10, 5,
0, 5, 10).  There you read the stretch.  Do this several times and take the
average.  If you are off just a little bit up at the cam shaft, it's magnified
down at the stretch markings.

Purge, just hold the throttle at 2500-3000 with your hand until most of the
purge is gone.  Do not be startled if the purge quickly turns black, that is a
good sign that you are cleaning the crap/sludge out of the injection system.

I'm sure others on the list can give you more pointers, this is just my humble
experience.

Luther

~OK, so I haven't yet decided on whether I'm going to attempt the valve
~adjustment on my 83' 300D myself or hope I can find someone who knows
~what they're doing.  If I decide to go that route, it sounds further
~complicated since from what I recall the engine is supposed to be cold
~as in "let to sit overnight".
~
~Either way, I know it's been discussed before, but I can't seem to find
~the references.  Where's the best/cheapest place to get the valve
~adjustment tools?  Or wouldn't I really need them?  I didn't see them
~listed at buymbparts.  I think I saw a set on ebay but for $100.  I was
~thinking someone said you could get them for more like $50...
~
~Also on the subject of tools...  How important is the glow plug reamer,
~and what's the best place to get one?
~
~And I keep hearing about the timing chain stretch.  If I do the valves
~myself, is it quite easy to measure the stretch at that time?  Or do I
~still need to dig deeper or disconnect the chain or some such thing to
~measure it?
~
~
~And I got a couple cans of diesel purge.  Is this best done at idle, or
~should I try to rig it up so I can drive around with it?
~
~And on the same lines, does it make much difference what order I do the
~valve adjustment/diesel purge?
~
~Thanks!
~Levi
~Might be getting time to wake the 83' 300D from it's winter slumber...
~