Thanks again.  I had always thought that tinnitus meant ringing in the ears
- a terrible affliction.  My "constant steam radiator" is actually not that
disruptive, as the only adverse effect is diminished hearing acuity.
Still, I don't know if this will worsen or transform over time to something
different/worse, so I will try to find a qualified practitioner to get
checked out and rule out any serious underlying causes.  It better not be
diesel pollution.  ;)

P.S.  I began the Dillon Experiment this morning by eliminating my massive
daily does of vitamin B12.  We'll see what happens..