The problem with this as I recently read is that the regionals have become a
sort of pilot purgatory that you can never get out of.  While they’re hiring
pilots with less than 2,000 hours (think about how long it’s going to take to
get those!) they’re working them to death and still not paying them a living
wage.  Those signing bonuses go away after the first year, meaning your
(friend’s) salary drops back down to a pittance.  Add to that the money they’ll
have to recover to pay for those lessons and flight time before they ever get
behind the yoke of a commuter and they’ll be better off working as a greeter at
Walmart.

https://www.airlinepilot.life/t/what-happens-to-a-regional-pilots-salary-after-their-first-year/1906

https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/regional/

-D