Bubbles happen. there does not have to be damage. The last conti I bought, a "made in USA," general tire one) got a bubble on the sidewall very quickly. Wish I could buy German Continentals again/still.

Jury is still out on the Barum (owned by conti) They have a few K miles on them, and the Nokia, which also have a few k on them.

Cooper CS3: wore out the back two, front ones are still ok. I think I can recommend them for low speeds. <70 Mph. Cooper CS4: (Discontinued) Not happy with them but they had over 50k on them before a couple started to wiggle from slipped belts. They still had a lot of tread left. Still have 2 on the van. So, they are probably ok for most people. I hear people driving on slipped belts all the time, so it seems to not bother many people.

Larry Turner via Mercedes wrote:
The only time I've seen a bubble form has been following the sidewall being brushed against something like a curb, etc. (I know, she rec'd the absolute best training from Daddy but accidents happen) Or maybe she loaned it to a friend?. Then the sidewall gets weaker over time until the inner rubber (?) puts more and more pressure against the weakness and gradually pushes through the fracture until a bubble forms which gets larger and larger over time. After raising 3 kids (who also rec'd Daddy's expert training) doing absolutely every thing possible to various cars over the last 40 years or so, this is how I would expect to see a bubble form. IMO, the front tires are the most likely to suffer sidewall damage like you described....

re: Costco Tires. I agree about their apparent honesty - I also like that they use a Torque Wrench and the mechanics actually know how to use it. Mine uses a Clicker type wrench but other shops have shown they have no clue how to use the wrench. I watched one tire changer tighten the nuts until the wrench clicked then he gave it another 1/2 turn! I had to take it back and get them to loosen the nuts so I had a chance to remove them if ever needed.

Good luck!   (back to lurk mode) ;-)

LarryT

91 300D

06 E350AWD