I could see that.

We looked very seriously at geothermal when we had the behemoth of a house in
Indiana.  The builder had clearly cut corners both in design and selection of
the HVAC system, and what it had was running on the ragged edge and horribly
inefficient, despite only being 6-7 years old.

This was a 4,000 SF two story house, so there was a lot to heat and cool.

A geothermal system would have cost us about $11,000 out of pocket after all
the rebates from the state and Federal governments.  Add to that a 50% property
tax credit from the state as long as we lived in the house made the payback
very attractive.  Sadly, we didn’t have the resources to do it.

Our HVAC guy, who had been doing geothermal for probably 10 years and had a
similar system in his own house, had estimated our average monthly costs at
about $75-$100.  Pretty darned good compared to what hey were with the existing
system.

-D