The truck saga proceeds glacially.  USAA has finally responded formally
with a resolution of total loss,
and a settlement offer of $20,040.  (Remember that I bought the truck in
1998 for $26,500 or so.)
Seems pretty fair to me.

They, however, have not yet said what the salvage buy-back value is.  I
have found a shop that
does only frame swaps and other frame work, the place that the expensive
body shop uses,
and he estimated $3k-$3.5k to do the swap, perhaps more with incidentals.
 (Gear ratio
change in the front, etc.)

I am currently driving the V10 parts donor truck, with its rattly bearings
and a slushbox stuck
in limp-home mode.  Hey, it works, even the AC, and was only $2100 in its
current condition,
1/10 the value of the other.

The parts truck was a peer to mine, and probably cost nearly the same
originally.  One had
aged better than the other, that's for sure!  (OK, I did have mine
repainted.)

-- Jim