> On May 18, 2018 at 9:25 PM Rick Knoble via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
> wrote:
>

> BTW, you seem to love those Chevy Cruze (s).
> Why?

With the E250 Bluetec priced beyond my means, they are the only viable modern
alternative to a VW TDI.

It all started last June when I saw a 2014 Cruze CTD (Clean Turbo Diesel, which
unfortunately uses the same initials as Cummins Turbo Diesel) about 100 miles
away, 90k on the odo, dark green paint over tan leather interior, rare color
combo but exactly the one I'd want,$8999 at a used car dealer in Ohio.
I thought about it for a day or two, do I want to go that high for a car which
will run out of powertrain warranty in a few thousand miles? And it sold over
the weekend, they don't last long at those prices, or didn't a year ago anyway.

I started watching the CoPart auctions, if I won't pay retail for one, maybe
I'll build one instead (still watching for an opportunity there, which is why
I'm looking at that abused car in Lansing for a drivetrain/suspension donor to
convert a Cruze ECO to diesel). Every diesel went for 150-200% of what I was
willing to pay, none of them were going to be under $8k after repairs.

Then I bid on a few gassers. If I could get one for enough less than a diesel
than I could hope to save on fuel with the diesel... A couple of times I was
the 2nd highest bidder, but never the highest. I'd set my price and stop there.
The dealer who's credentials I was borrowing for the auctions told me I needed
to bid more.

Finally, there was a Hertz owned two month old 2017 Cruze RS, clean title, 2085
miles, in Cleveland. Literally two months old, made in June, bought by me in
August. I set my price, and once again got outbid. OK, I'll go $200 more, this
is a brand new car. The 4th time I went $200 more, it was mine, for more than I
wanted to pay.

That led to me shopping for parts cars to afford to fix up my new purchase,
which is how I found the red 2016 3 weeks later, the car I should have bought
in the first place. So now I have two late model cars, one with 2k on the odo
and needing repairs 8 months after I bought it, one with 14k on the odo after
I've driven it 2000 miles that I want to sell to raise money to fix up the 2k
car.

Last week, I took the 2016 out for my first drive in 70 degree weather,
commuting in winter I could only manage 38-40mpg. It still has winter gas in it
though. Took it to Dewitt for pizza. Followed 50 yards behind a semi going
68-69mph for most of the way there with a 10mph wind more or less behind me.
Raised the car's lifetime maximum 25 mile average to 59.9mpg indicated.
Going home into the wind, I was only getting about 47mpg indicated, maybe 45mpg
in real life. Now this is what I wanted when I bought these things.

The red car is just too perfect, bright colored and spotless to drive on the
dirt road I live on. I just need money, I'm getting ready to take many detailed
photos and put it on eBay for $9500 starting bid. Or you can come get it for
$9500. Has a crack in the plastic grille and scratches on two wheels. Never had
a dent or scratch on the body besides the crash damage which is fully repaired
and nearly all of that was damage to bolt on parts which have been replaced.

Mitch.