Alex,

It's not obvious in the photos, but the old mounts are also metal and
rubber. The new mounts that I got are the Sportline rear and late W124
front, which are a slightly different design than the early fronts (I
just liked the newer version better, and they fit all 124's.) The main
thing to notice is how the subframe sags on the old, cracked mounts.
With the new mounts, almost no sagging... the subframe is locked much
more tightly to the body.

I can tell you that replacing the mounts is not fun, even with the
proper tools, at least with the subframe in the car. If the subframe
was removed, it would be much easier. If you intend to rebuild the
subframe yourself by changing all the links & mounts, I'd pull the
whole thing out. I intend to do that when I fix mine (probably next
winter).

Here's a procedure showing a DIY forward bushing swap:

http://www.w124performance.com/docs/mb/W124/subframe_bushing_install.pdf
(6MB PDF file with lots of pretty pictures)

:-)

-Dave M.