I've found that Marriott hotels generally have the wifi router in the room,
under the desk, and it has a couple ethernet ports.  They usually even have
a cable available on the desktop, so I can avoid the wifi altogether.

If I have to use the wifi, I look at all the wifi signals available, make
sure I'm selecting the legitimate hotel source, which in the case of
Marriott they require a login on the landing page.  If I go to a bank
website, I make sure the bank website is https BEFORE I enter any login
credentials.  Many banks used to have both http and https login pages, but
I think most have eliminated that practice by now.

I've also got two-factor authentication set up wherever possible, so I
enter the login, then get a text on my phone that I have to enter the code
as well.