On Tue, 22 May 2018 05:23:26 -0400 Dan Penoff via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> While using https does provide security, your authentication
> information is initially sent in the clear in some cases depending on
> the wifi protocol being used.  This makes it possible for a “man in the
> middle” attack to occur, giving the attacker your authentication
> credentials and therefore access to your data.

What wifi protocol would not send the authentication information in the
clear?

> I’m talking about when you’re actually connecting with the access
> point, not the connection with your banking institution.
>
> When I’m on public wifi I do nothing that would be considered secure,
> such as accessing bank or credit card accounts.  Too risky.

Sorry, I still don't understand.

How would having wifi authentication information make connection to a
bank insecure? If I make sure the bank's page is encrypted before I enter
my bank login information, is that not secure?

If I make sure I am connecting to the correct access point, how would
someone else eavesdropping be a "man in the middle"? Would he not just
be an eavesdropper like someone monitoring wire traffic?

Craig