OK Don wrote:
> It's a beefed up, somewhat up-dated Aeronica Champ built by Bellanca.
> I flew one primarily to tow sailplane students - absolutely the most
> exciting flying I've ever done.

I bet!  Having been a sailplane student, I think flying a tug towing a
student is probably one of the more dangerous jobs in aviation.  It's so
easy for the sailplane to overpower the tug's tail surfaces and put the
tow pilot somewhere he really doesn't want to be.  It was fun to sit
around and listen to the tow pilots' hangar chat...they loved their job,
and they were all interesting people.  Aviation seems to attract a wide
range of peculiar folks. ;)

The club I was in used a Bellanca Scout and a Piper Pawnee as tugs.  The
Pawnee was definately the favorite of the pilots.