The outside condenser unit has the charge.  You install the units, hook up your lines, pull a vacuum and make sure they are tight, then open up the spigot to charge the system.  He did a nitrogen purge then pulled the vac again. On the larger unit I put in my guy did put in a bit more refrigerant as my lines were maybe a bit longer than the charge was designed for -- I had 4 head units and 2 were a bit of a run, and the linesets come in specific lengths (making the flange at home is not recommended but I guess you could try).

There's nothing magic about doing your own charging if you have a good vacuum pump, but I was explicitly addressing the warranty aspect.  For the $100 or whatever it was, it was not a big deal.

--FT