[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Thanks Sunil and Dwight & Marshall -
As I reported, I changed the main and prefilters - without affect.

It sounds like Marshalls suggestion is highly likely -- my wife started driving it to work yesterday - it's 55 miles each way at 60-70 mph 99% of the time. I'll give that a try to see if it helps. Will try for some longer trips also.

Unless I get energetic and decide to change the GPs. ;-) Course, it sounds like I'll probably need to come up with a suitable reamer to clean out the carbon.

Marshalls suggestion fits exactly with my thinking about the problem (tho I didn't have nearly the precise definition Marshall provided) - the car only had 99k when I bought it - 99K since being bought in 91 and me buying it last month = 99k in 15 years or an average of 6600 miles/yr - making me think it was driven very low miles probably around town - which would create a carbon problem around the GPs. I may take the chicken way out and find a shop I can trust to change the GPs and ream the appropriate areas -

but 1st we'll try the add'l GP heat time and the highway miles.

This is exactly the kind of problem that is likely to diminish or go away as the weather warms and as the car is driven MANY miles between cold starts. I would NOT go looking for a reamer, but see how things go over the next few months. Then, IF the problem reappears next fall, consider the reamer (or changing the delivery valve seals and "O" ring).

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi