At the factory, they slap a heater(HVAC) unit on a sled, then assemble the rest of the car around it. Removal is the reverse... And then you get to try to put it all back together again. I like 110/111 cars for this reason. They were not built on a sled.

Peter Frederick via Mercedes wrote:
Cost is the same as an evaporator, it's in the same box and I don't think you
can take it out the front (although I have a dim memory that it may be possible
on the W201 chassis).

Typical problem is leaking 0-rings on the header seal, and corrosion from using
the wrong coolant is always possible.