Those wave heights never appear at the shoreline, but the wave action on
top of the storm surge is, nevertheless, a force that very few man-made
structures can resist.  There's a dome-home near the beach over on
Sullivan's Island, not far from me.  That puppy would be what I would want,
if I lived on that beach.
Max
Charleston SC