yep.  go figger.

re The Counterbalance issue.  Both the Service Advisor and my "friend" who works in the parts dept offered the same advice - drive it and don't worry about the shaft.  The Parts guy (who also used to be a technician) has replaced a number of c'balance shafts over the years - some so bad the gears were completely smooth.  After the work was done (at over $4000 if not part of the agreement) he said all owners told him they didn't notice any difference in the way it drove!  That's gotta be frustrating!

So if anyone has a CEL telling him the counter balance shaft is going bad, I would suggest you just drive it.  Now, if you're like me and a CEL drives you crazy, consider the current labor rate to disassemble a V6 MB engine and put it back together!  Spending over $4K on a car with a NADA retail price of $5600 doesn't make sense.

But I love the thought of putting a CDI engine in this car.  I guess if you had a wrecked donor car all you would need is the labor.  IMO that would be a nice car when done.  Looking at values of 09 CDI which was around $10K but I don't know what the affect of it being a Frankenstein MB would be.

Might not be a financial success but you'd end up with a nice MB. I'll pick my E350 up Wed or Thur but I fear the battery is dying. That's be another $200 if the prices I've seen are accurate.  I really don't want to put any more $$s into this car but it may be necessary.

LarryT