We had an interesting kindergarten situation with son #2. There was a kid
in his class with 2 older brothers and some clueless parents. The kid was
completely out of control, pushed other kids, would bother them in line by
flicking their ear, then when they reacted would play the victim, would hit
people, etc. Probably exactly what he had done to him at home by his own
brothers, who were basically unsupervised from the sound of it.

There is simply no way a teacher with 24 students can be there every minute
of the day protecting every kid from someone like that. Parents wrote a
petition to the school to have him thrown out of the school, but that isnt
easy to do.

Anyway it was going to be a long year, so I just told our kid that he cant
hit anyone unless he is being hurt. Understand that he was already several
belts up the chain in karate at age 5, with an uncompromising attitude.

It got to the point where our kid would preemptively annihilate the other
kid if he got too close to him, on general principle. Thankfully the
teacher understood why he was doing it, because on balance, the other kid
was a real nuisance, manipulative and mean.  But we did have to tell our
son to back off, because the other kid wasn't always trying to do bad
things to him, but got punched anyway. Our kid was literally winding up
before the other kid got in range.

I dont know why I mention it, except to say that kids have to know how to
stand their ground and be assertive. Their karate teacher actually has them
stand in ready position with their hands at their sides and say in a loud
voice "That's NOT OK!".There is a lot of emphasis on self control but also
on being calm, believing in yourself and projecting confidence. This alone
will avert many bullying type situations, because bullying types are always
looking for an easily intimidated victim. It is mainly a psychological
game. Knowing you can handle yourself frequently means you dont have to,
because you project that ability by your attitude. This is mainly what I
wanted him to learn in karate, and he is learning it. And he really likes
it. Money well spent.

We honestly never worried about him in this situation, while other parents
were apparently very upset. We figured we will not always be there in his
life to bail him out, and he may as we start figuring things out early.
Eventually the other kid's parents hired some sort of life coach and got
things together more at home, and of course the other kid learned to keep
his distance from our kid, which was fine.

I think this is easier to deal with at younger ages than later on, so we
felt that it was important to get on the right track early. Simply telling
kids to never stand up for themselves under any circumstance seems
impractical, unfair and unwise. They need to believe in themselves and
their own agency and abilities, and have some tools at their disposal.

My 0.02.