Thanks for the reply Marshall -

The car has never been in an accident and the problem doesn't seem to be temperature related as it did it on the way to work today (about 20 or so out).

I will check the ball joints.

Would a clogged filter do this? What has me confused is after I turned and moved the plastic piece inside the reservoir, the steering seemed to be much better (didn't drive, just moved wheels side to side).

Thanks

Dave Wakin
this car is the 1990 300TE with 137K

PS pumps fail. Sometimes by leaking and sometimes by not pumping. I
could IMAGINE it pumping okay when cold and poorly when hot. The high
pressure line CAN become occluded (not unusual if the car has had a
front end collision - the hose LOOKS fine) and this might be worse when
hot than cold. If the ball joints rust up (NOT unusual for a car that
sits for months) the steering can get VERY stiff, but it's NOT usually
temperature sensitive. Only new ball joints will fix that.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5
turbo 237kmi