I am hoping someone can give me some pointers on what to check here - the car is my wifes 90 300TE with 137K on it. The car was basically parked for the winter and we just started using it again.

We took it to my MIL this weekend (about 60 miles), and it was the first time I had driven it other then around the block. Not long into the trip it felt like the steering started to get stiff and tight, almost like there is no power steering. I pulled over and checked the fluid - there was plenty, and it was nice and warm. I moved the plastic plunger thing that is in the middle of the cup up and down and turned it (not sure what this is, but I moved it around).

When I got back in the car, I turned the wheels side to side and they turned with little effort. However, back on the road, it seems like it is fighting me around corners and turns. I took it to work today, and at startup I did the side-to-side wheel test again and it feels stiff again.

Not sure what else to check - maybe the PS Filter? I figured I would change that and the fluid and go from there, but I am not sure I am looking at the right peice in the puzzle.

Thanks in advance,

Dave Wakin