The solenoid is a switch. The top stud has a cable connected to the battery. The bottom terminal has a strap that goes to the wiring inside the starter. That is why, when your solenoid fails, you can jump the starter, with a big screwdriver, or equivalent, and cause the starter to run. (but not engage) (Useful in diagnosis) The small terminal in the middle is one side of the switching (control) circuit. The other side of the switching circuit is the ground through the starter itself, to the engine, to the body and the negative terminal.

If you suspect a problem with the starter control circuit, you can jump from the top terminal to the small terminal and if the starter and solenoid work correctly, the starter should engage. (another reason why your ol dissel can get you home when others are F.O.R.D.)

If the nut on the bottom is loose, the current to the starter is probably arcing, and may not make contact, or may not conduct enough juice to start, and will likely cause overheating at the terminal.