I learned a cool trick as a bench tech working on variable speed DC motor
controls many, many years ago.

One of the most common failures we would see on units coming in for repairs
were shorted triacs in the output stage of the drive. Of course these would
immediately blow a fuse or trip a breaker when the controller was powered up
and activated.

Our design guy, a real savant but total nut job, set up a power cord at each
bench with a mogul base light bulb in series whose amperage draw was less than
the controller under load.  If the controller was good, it would run just fine
and the bulb would never light. But - if the controller was bad, in that the
output triacs were shorted, as soon as you plugged it in the bulb would light.
Simple, yet effective. No blown fuses or tripped breakers.

I’ve used the same approach with troubleshooting DC circuits in cars for years
using a brake light bulb in place of the fuse for the affected circuit.  If
there’s a short, the bulb will light. If not, it will pass enough current for
the circuit to operate normally.

-D