More progress.

-- Jim

March 27, 2006

Finally, moving on.  I glued the loose passenger map pocket to the
door skin.  Inelegant, but should work.  I was careful so that it can
be removed fairly cleanly if the pocket should ever get replaced.

...On a freeway test drive today the cruise worked even better than it
did at low speed, mostly because the car is less sensitive to throttle
variations at higher speeds.  Perfectly acceptable, if you ask me.  I
need to look at the throttle linkage again, it may be that we've lost
a little bit of onramp power since I dinked with it while installing
the idle cable.

It's a pity that other obligations prevented me from tackling the
sunroof today, it was beautiful out.  It's supposed to rain tomorrow.

March 28, 2006

Yep, raining.  Adjusted the throttle linkage again to get better
access to full throttle.  Loosened the ADA screw two full turns.
Tried a test drive, no real difference.  Car doesn't smoke on heavy
acceleration, and sucking and blowing on a line connected to the ADA's
port didn't seem to make any difference.  I whipped the full-throttle
stop four more lashes, just for grins, and drove it again.  Not really
any different, but I hooked up the MityVac to the ADA, and when I
pumped it up to 15", floored it, and then released the vacuum I could
feel a surge as the ADA reacted.  So, it's not totally dead anyway.

The weather cleared up a bit, so I dove into the sunroof.  _Very_
sticky, which I could tell once I'd unpinned the operating cable.
Can't even slide it by hand, it takes two!  Try _that_ while at
the same time trying to flip the switch.

Anyway, it was painfully obvious that naive attempts to lubricate the
sunroof had been done.  The two shiny cover rails (with the screw
heads in them) that are exposed when the roof is open were caked with
what looked like a bad varnish, the remains I suppose of some random
lubricant caked with dirt.  Of note is that this is a non-bearing
surface, and needs no lubrication at all!  I put these in the solvent
tank while I did the real job.  The roof came apart easily enough,
having done it before helps.  The difficult part is cleaning out the
rearward part of the sliding track where it's buried behind the
headliner.  I used a bit of rag clamped into the end of a straightened
coat hanger and dipped in solvent.  Fortunately the rear part of the
track seems to have escaped the home lubricator.  It was fairly clean,
especially when compared to the front part of the track.

With all of the crud scraped and dissolved out of there, and the same
for the sliding feet on the roof panel itself, I lubricated it all
with Lubriplate and put it back together.  Even after an hour in the
solvent tank the rail covers needed heavy scrubbing with a rag to
shine up.  The roof panel slid easily enough by hand when I put it
back in place, so I finished putting all the bolts in and tried it
out.  It still got stuck at the back, just about as bad as before!
WTF?

I started taking it back apart, and with it disconnected from the
cable and bracket it slid easily enough again.  As it turns out, the
sliding bracket to which the roof panel screws (and through which runs
a tube inside of which is the cable from the motor) needs to be pulled
forward out of the car as well.  (Run the cable all the way back
first.)  The inside of this tube was all gummy and was preventing the
bracket from sliding easily over the sheath of the cable back under
the headliner.  I cleaned it out with solvent and lubricated it too.
Upon reassembly the sunroof then worked properly.

Now for the small tears in the sunroof headliner panel.  I took it
inside to a table and cleaned off the metal side rails where the glue
had failed and the material was loose.  I then used contact cement to
reglue the panel to the frame.  With that done I cut some small pieces
of scrap headliner material I had and cemented them behind the tear
and the hole that was in the panel.  The scrap material was even the
right color!  Same hole pattern, too, which helped with the hole.  It
is a bit puckery still and not nearly as invisible as I'd hoped, but I
still think it's better than it was.  With the hole patched it should
no longer draw probing little fingers...  A final treatment with
Simple Green to clean off the whole panel and then I installed it back
in the car.  A drop of oil on each metal snap clip helped ease them
back into place.

Just about done, except for the detailing.  (Wash, touch-up paint,
wax, clean the interior.)  I have had no problems with the battery the
entire time, I think its only problem was difficult starting combined
with not letting it charge back up.  (Especially easy if you didn't
get it started!)  So I will consider the PO's report spurious and will
mark it as taken care of.

-- Jim