That's the lazy man's way. It would get some damage for sure that
way and it is doubtful that freight insurance would cover poorly
packed items.

Believe it or not, open bulk or "irreg" items (as they are referred to) get treated pretty well if they are open and NOT boxed. I won a bladder tank for my well on eBay and the guy said "local pick-up only". I asked him if he would slap a shipping label on if I sent him one and set it on his porch for pick-up. He said "sure". A couple mouse clicks later (I have a UPS shipping account), and I mailed him a shipping label. A couple more days after that, I had my tank, damage-free. Simple.

Rick Knoble
'85 300 CD
'87 190 DT