Similar experience when I put the 2.82 diff into the e420. The clunking
with the 1-2 shift went away with the new diff mounts.

Subframe bushings are another possibility.

I seem to have a clunk in the rear of the 87 wagon when going over bumps.
It is either the subframe bushings or an upper shock mount gone bad. Diff
mounts and half shafts are new, along with nearly all the link bushings, so
I am running out of possibilities.