Hello -
    Sorry that I'm a little late to this thread - I'd like to add along with range time and practice at home in front of a mirror using a holster of various placements - there's lots of good video's on YouTube to help, anyone carrying should consider one of the Insurance policies available.  A couple come to mind: CarryGuard (NRA) and US LawShield (got a brochure at Cabela's) and others.

    If you carry a gun and use it even in a obviously defense manner (and there's always 2 sides to every story), your gun will be taken and you will be arrested, without fail.  Again, YouTube has video's telling what to do if arrested.

    A few things your Carry Insurance will do is, get you bonded out, represent you in a criminal court and possibly civil court. Criminals these days see a paycheck if they get shot and will sue for damages - and the court has issued some strange rulings concerning in these cases.

    Finally (though there's always much more to this kind of thread) please consider joining the NRA.  It was the 1st Civil Rights organization in the US formed in 1877 (IIRC) to protect the rights of freed slaves and US Citizens whose 2nd Amendment rights were often assaulted.   Regardless what you may have heard, the NRA is there to protect the 2nd A. rights of US citizens.

    BTW, these kinds of actions are repeated nearly every day at some place or another - but they are seldom reported for various reasons.

Larry