The center pot metal pivot for the big spring is what broke in both of my
crank windows. I made a new one out of steel (don't remember how) and that
fixed it. The one time I had to repair an electric window was when
something jambed and the motor bent parts in the regulator in the drivers
door of the 450SLC. A new regulator fixed that. I suppose that I replaced
or cleaned a few switches along the way, but considered that routine
maintenance.

On Fri, Nov 23, 2018 at 4:47 PM Curley McLain via Mercedes <
mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> The only things that break with crank windows is if the gear wears out,
> or if the Nylon slider breaks (usually about 20-25 years old.
> With elevtric windows, there are LOTS of ways they break:  gear wears
> out, Nylon slider breaks, switches crap out often, (there are at least 6
> of them), the motor craps out, the wires break in the door joint, and more.
>
> I've had the opposite experience.  I've spent almost as much time/money
> on electric windows as I have on ACCIII.
> I would rank the problems in terms of repair cost for MBs with ACCIII as
> this:
>
> Highest cost/mile
> 1.  ACCIII
> 2. Electric windows
> 3.  Suspension
> 4.  All other engine transmission repairs.
>
> THis is why I get excited about a 300D or any 124 or 126 Diesel with
> left and right heat controls.   Aside from the obviously substantially
> lower cost of maintaining the manual heating controls, you also get
> separate LEFT AND RIGHT heater controls!  With this system, all is right
> with the MB world, and you get to drive more and spend less!  In the biz
> world, that is called WIN/WIN.
>
> Don, you just got lucky!
>
> My ideal car would be a 300D turbo with a 5 speed, manual heat controls,
> sunroof, and dual control window winders (electric with manual cranks
> too, so when the electric does not work, you can crank the motor
> manually to operate the window.)
> > OK Don via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
> > November 23, 2018 at 4:30 PM
> > I had to repair hand crank windows in both MBs I had with them, but only
> > one electric window in the 6 or more MBs with those. I thought the
> > electrical windows would be more trouble prone, but I proved myself
> wrong.

OK Don

for themselves."

2013 F150, 18 mpg