No spam at MCD!   Lots of Spam in Austin!

In 1961, my dad bough a wood hulled boat. Only 4-5 yrs old but had no care. We would drive to where it was 1-4 times a week and work on it. (~50 mile round trip) LOTS of brass screws! I still have the little screwdriver I used most of the time, because it had a spring clip and would also turn a phillips once the screw was broken loose. Dinner, and sometimes supper, was at McD, the first one around. The original building is gone, replaced, but McD is still there. Hamburgers were 5 fer a dollar there. I think a shake was 25ยข. A hamburger was a quarter, so buying 5 was a deal. The entire menu was hamburger, fries, and 2-3 flavors of shake. The shakes were way better then. Lamb's Diner also had "Hamburgers 5/$1," but we never got a shake there. Last time I checked, Lamb's was still there. That is amazing! Lamb's was nearly across from the CB&Q RR station, so got lots of traffic from passengers coming and going, and people bringing freight or picking it up. It was the mainline for the California Zephyr, the Mark Twain Zephyr and others. That's all long gone, but Lamb's somehow survived.

Actually, I still have the remains of a 3/16 super high quality twist drill he had to buy so I could drill holes in Stainless steel. It is a really great drill. It broke once and I keep sharpening it, so it is stubby. I've never seen a drill as good. cobalt, titanium included. Lasting quality.

I associate boats with lots of work, McD, learning how to drill stainless, woodworking skulls, brass screws, varnish, scraping and painting, stripping and varnishing, drilling plexiglass, polishing plexiglass, etc, And swimmin in THE River, Hamburgers cooked on the beach, trips by boat upriver and downriver, camping in the boat, and tons of mosquitoes.

Mountain Man via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
December 1, 2018 at 3:48 PM

Shall we change the tone of this McD thread? - How about recall your
first McD visit? My first McD was a coupon for filet-o-fish so I rode
to Forest Park ~1963 on my ~1938 Chicago Schwinn that I still ride.
Parkey's hot dogs were also memorable for their fresh fries ($0.10)
served in brown paper bag all greasy salted yum. Also yum was A&P
Spanish Bar Cake markdown $0.10 - recipe for A&P Spanish Bar Cake is
online.
Carry on, guys - Roger has asked for a new tone for the McD thread?
... down memory lane? ... perhaps?
tin.man