Back in 1971 when I bought my first MB, cars got 17-18 MPG if you drove for mileage.  My 67 Chevelle got 10, no matter what I did to try to improve mileage.   My 66 Bronco (acquired in 1973) got 10, no matter what I did to try to get better mileage. Gas was mostly 35.9¢ and Diesel 27.9 to 28.8¢/gal.  In this environment, my 190Dc and later 200D got  27 to 30 and as much as 35 mpg.   You can figger out what a savings that was.

Later I had the  wabbit at 50 mpg, the escort at 50-55 mpg and the quantum at 45 mpg, loaded to the gills and going 75.   In high MPG conditions it would probably do 50-55 also. I gave up the high mileage game when I got the first SDL.  The speed and comfort was amazing.  The kids not only didn't complain about riding in it, but enjoyed riding in the back seat.

It was the reliability and MPG that sold many people on a MB Diesel in the early 80s, after 15 yrs of detriot iron getting worse all the time. Most 73-74 land yachts did no better than 10 mpg, up from 18, due to all the gooberment mandated "improvements."    I believe 1983 was the high point of MB Diesel sales in the USA.   That was when I went to a MBCA meeting in the quad cities, and in place of all gassers with a couple Diesels, there was all (mostly new) Diesels, with a couple gassers.   [yes, I said 10 MPG, UP from 18.  That is goober-speak, reflecting the "improvements" mandated.]