Goodwill used to have gems hidden in all the dross.  You will never find a
musical instrument (for example)
at their stores, now.  They got better at filtering, so I rarely go there
anymore.

Unless I need dross.  The other day I stopped in and bought an old Sony clock
radio iPhone/iPad dock, to serve
as a charging stand for my 4S in my home office.  (In daily use now that I must
Work From Home.)  That old
shit would never sell online.  They had two, one of them had a broken charging
connector, and would be
entirely useless for my purposes.  Same price.  Like I said, dross.

I used to go there for cables, but it looks like they've nearly stopped taking
that sort of thing.
I have better luck finding interesting items at the Union Gospel Mission thrift
shop.  (I also bought
a pickup truck (the V10) at their motors outlet.)

My dad's will expressly banned all recipients except Salvation Army, for the
excesses that nobody wanted.

-- Jim